Amber Heard spent four days on the stand in her defamation trial, testifying in detail about more than 10 instances of alleged abuse at the hands of Johnny Depp. The Aquaman star spent most of her time appealing to the jury directly, breaking down as she recounted allegations of sexual assault. Depp, who didn't look at the actress once, had been "winning" in the court of public opinion prior to the actress's testimony. But which star is making the best case in court? Legal experts weigh in on where things stand heading into the trial's final week.
"I think Heard had a fairly consistent message and did not crumble during a very tough cross-examination," attorney Rachel Fiset, managing partner of Zweiback, Fiset & Coleman, tells Yahoo Entertainment. "In her direct, Heard set the stage for how she fell in love with Johnny and then recounted how their relationship devolved into volatility and abuse throughout its course. For the most part, she sounded sincere in her love for him — and distraught as to the decline."
However, Fiset believes Heard "may have downplayed her role in the volatility of the relationship too much" given the actress admits to physically abusing Depp on audiotapes played to the court. Fiset also notes that Heard is just that — an actress.
"She looked a bit rehearsed and she focused on her audience — the jury — which could rub the jury the wrong way because it looks a bit contrived and at times she came across as overdoing it," she explains.
Defamation lawyer Jeff Lewis, who gives Heard "high marks" for her testimony on direct examination, believes some of that could work.
"For Amber Heard to prevail, all she needs to do is convince the jury that at least one act of violence occurred," he explains to Yahoo. "Amber's account of the sexual violence, in particular, was dramatic and riveting for the jury."
Lewis continues, "That said, the cross-examination was masterfully done: Short, objection-proof questions that destroyed Heard's credibility. The questions in particular about the audio of her taunting Johnny Depp that no one would ever believe that he was a victim of violence was very strong and Heard's response to that line of questioning was weak."
Lewis believes Heard made a mistake by "being combative with Depp's lawyer."
"For example, suggesting that Depp's lawyer doesn't really understand cocaine as well as Amber Heard does? That might be true, but that particular issue — of Amber being more experienced with drugs — may not win over the jury," he shares. "Direct examination went very well for Heard but the cross-examination eliminated any gains she made."
Lewis gave Depp's lawyers points for bringing out the knife Heard gifted the actor amid their volatile relationship.
"What victim of domestic violence would make such a gift? And having that knife in court — rather than a mere photo of it — was good lawyering by Depp's legal team," he adds.
Depp is suing Heard for $50 million for a 2018 op-ed she wrote in the Washington Post in which she described herself as a "public figure representing domestic abuse." Heard is countersuing Depp for $100 million.
Fiset had an interesting take when asked if Heard potentially made any missteps.
"The alleged abuse is so abhorrent that she set a very high bar to prove its truth, which may leave the jury confused on what would be necessary to show she was a survivor of domestic abuse as she claimed in the op-ed. She could have detailed much milder events to get over her hurdle of 'abuse,'" she explains. "Given the wide disparity in each party's story, the jury has to decide what it determines to be domestic abuse inside the relationship and what [Amber's] 'truth' was in writing the op-ed. This trial has turned into a battle of he said, she said on these hideous allegations."
Related video: Amber Heard claims Johnny Depp performed 'cavity search' for cocaine, ripped 'my underwear off'
As for how Heard's time on the stand compares to her ex-husband's, both attorneys note the Johnny Depp factor.
"They are both passionate about their case. Johnny Depp, is well, Johnny Depp, and came across as sincere in his testimony but I felt he was definitely at the trial in a pursuit to clear his name and regain traction in his career," Fiset says. "Amber Heard's testimony felt a bit rehearsed but she has a lot to lose in this case and may have simply been more nervous."
Lewis adds: "The jury reportedly hung on every word that Depp said. The courtroom laughed along with his jokes. Depp's off-the-stand demeanor while doodling at counsel table is noticed by the jury and is a way for Depp to connect with the jury in a way that Heard has not been able to connect. Depp is quite friendly with his counsel and the jury can see and watch how he treats others and will take those off-the-witness stand moments into consideration when assessing his credibility. Depp was very vulnerable and open with the jury and not defensive. He was well prepared to testify."
However, Lewis points out that some of Heard's witnesses have been very compelling, in particular, the testimony of her former makeup artist. Melanie Inglessis said she covered up bruises and a split lip that Heard allegedly sustained in December 2015 after a violent fight with Depp.
"Anytime a third party offers corroborating testimony in a 'he said, she said' case, that testimony will be important to a jury," he states.
It remains to be seen whether Depp or Heard will prevail in the courtroom, but experts believe each star has a chance at winning.
Entertainment lawyer Domenic Romano, founder and managing partner of Romano Law, gives a slight edge to Heard: "At the start of his testimony, Depp stressed that he was seeking 'the truth.' So far, the facts that have been uncovered have been overwhelming negative for Depp, especially concerning his alleged drug and alcohol use. Depp has little to gain and a lot to lose by proceeding with this case."
Depp is still winning over the public, though, and potentially the jury.
"If the jury is taking the same side as the general public, then Depp has a strong chance of winning. What has been presented in the case and the elements that Depp would have to show to prove defamation, however, should weigh in favor of Amber Heard. In my opinion, she will have a narrow victory on her defense and will likely not win her counterclaim," Fiset says.
Lewis says "things are going very well for Depp," who "has the opportunity to offer up rebuttal testimony before closing arguments," which are set for May 27, after which the jury will begin deliberations.
"Heard's best strategy seems to be on the issue of damages: that Depp's career was on the way down before her op-ed was published and that Heard was not the actual cause of any damage to him," he explains. "I would also expect Heard's counsel to summarize during closing arguments any of the third-party corroboration to the violence claims: the make-up artist and her sister in particular. For Depp's part, I expect the audio of her taunting him about not being believed, the gift of the knife and the dozens of discrepancies in the timeline to be presented in the closing arguments."
In the end, it may not matter who wins — to the public, at least.
"Amber is facing a lot of vitriol during this case," Fiset adds. "I think most of the public has their minds made up as to who they are supporting and the facts and evidence may not be the driver for those feelings."
MORE: Amber Heard denies defecating in Johnny Depp marital bed: "I don't think that's funny, period"
Artikel Lainnya dalam Topik Hiburan
- Penyanyi 'AGT' Terlambat Mendapat Kehormatan Selama Audisi Yang Menakjubkan
- Farrell Berbagi Kenangan Membuat 'Laporan Minoritas'
- Bintang 'X Factor' Ini Mengatakan Tunangannya Meninggal Di Hari Pernikahan Mereka
- Donna Mills Adalah 'model Untuk Sandy' Di 'Grease'
- Pembicaraan Hathaway Mengharapkan Keputusan Roe V Wade
- Trailer 'Stranger Things' Menggoda Kematian Besar
- Trailer 'Stranger Things' Baru Menggoda Pertempuran Berdarah Untuk Hawkins — Dan Beberapa Kematian Besar
- Petra Kehilangan 3 Kehamilan Selama 2 Tahun Terakhir
- Colbert Tentang Penangkapan Staf Capitol
- Dari 'terlalu Gelap' Hingga 'Batman' Terbaik
- Beyoncé Merilis Lagu House Baru 'Break My Soul'
- Masa Lalu Rahasia Ibu Rumah Tangga Yang Sebenarnya Sebagai Vixen Video Tahun 80-an
- Pemeran 'The Wire', Para Kreator Merenungkan Ulang Tahun Ke-20 Serial HBO
- Bagaimana 'Lightyear' Terhubung Ke Alam Semesta 'Toy Story'
- Akun IG Britney Menghilang Pasca-pernikahan
- Apa Yang Membuat 'Bapak Mempelai Wanita' Yang Baru Berbeda
- Heard Menyerahkan Bukti Kunci Yang Tidak Diadili
- Duchovny Tertarik Pada Lebih Banyak 'X-Files'
- Film Mengungkapkan Celah Matematika Dalam Lotere Negara
- Spacey 'keras' Menyangkal Klaim Penyerangan Seksual
- Bintang 'Jackass' Ditemukan Oleh Polisi Setelah Melarikan Diri Dari Rehabilitasi
- Juri Dalam Persidangan Depp-Heard Angkat Bicara
- Ethan Hawke Tentang Pelarian 'Stranger Things' Putrinya
- Sheryl Crow Ingat Berjuang Melawan Walmart Atas Kendali Senjata
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Merinci Pertempuran Dengan COVID
- Zendaya Menutup Rumor Kehamilan Yang Viral
- Ozzy Osbourne Memberikan Pembaruan Pasca Operasi
- Kemarahan Hanks Meledak Saat Kipas Menabrak Istri
- Lihat Ana De Armas Sebagai Marilyn Di Trailer 'Blonde'
- Pada Usia 54, Minogue Akhirnya Merasa Dia 'mendapatkan' Kesuksesan
- Dolly Menyumbangkan $1 Juta Untuk Penelitian Penyakit Menular
- Lihat Ryan Gosling Sebagai Ken Di Film 'Barbie'
- Chris Evans Berbicara Tentang Kehidupan Pasca-Kapten Amerika
- Dolly Menyumbangkan $ 1 Juta Untuk Penelitian Penyakit Menular Pediatrik
- Amber Heard Mengatakan Dia Masih Mencintai Johnny Depp
- Hailey Bieber Berbicara Tentang Kesehatannya Dan Justin
- Ozzy 'baik-baik Saja' Setelah Operasi Besar
- Bradley Cooper Merenungkan Narkoba, Kecanduan Alkohol
- Pertarungan Epik Pecah Selama Audisi 'AGT' Yang Aneh
- Pembuat Film 'Lightyear' Berbicara Tentang Ciuman Sesama Jenis
- The Chicks Pada Perubahan Nama 2020 Mereka
- Mengapa, Pada Usia 54, Minogue Akhirnya Percaya Bahwa Dia 'mendapatkan Ini'
- Paltrow Dan Pitt Bercanda Tentang Pertunangan Yang Gagal
- Perry: Smith 'hancur' Setelah Tamparan Oscar
- Schwarzenegger: Bulan Madu 'Predator' Adalah Kesalahan
- Apakah Kim K Merusak Gaun Marilyn Monroe?
- Tyler Perry: Smith 'hancur' Setelah Tamparan Oscar
- Kim K 'mengubah Secara Permanen' Gaun Marilyn Monroe
- 'Sampai Hari Kematian Saya, Saya Akan Mendukung Setiap Kata': Mendengar
- Bieber Memperbarui Penggemar: 'Setiap Hari Menjadi Lebih Baik'
- Jennifer Lopez Mengingat Lelucon Seksis Tentang Pantatnya
- Lizzo Mengubah Lirik 'GRRRLS' Setelah Dikritik
- Hanks: Tidak Bisa Bermain Pria Gay Di 'Philadelphia' Sekarang
- Mick Jagger Mengidap COVID: 'Mengalami Gejala'
- Amber Heard Berbicara Untuk Pertama Kalinya Tentang Putusan Depp
- Hanks Mengatakan Dia Tidak Bisa Bermain Pria Gay Di 'Philadelphia' Sekarang
- Lizzo Mengubah Perubahan Lirik 'GRRRLS' Setelah Dikritik
- Aktor Karakter Tercinta Philip Baker Hall Meninggal
- Mengapa 'Tahun Cahaya' Dilarang Di Arab Saudi
- Bagaimana Hit 'Top Gun' Menjadi Lagu Pride Yang Mengejutkan
- Kim Memuji Keterampilan Pacar Instagram Pete
- Ozzy Osbourne Menjalani Operasi Tulang Belakang
- Christensen Memainkan Vader 'lebih Brutal'
- Jennifer Hudson Adalah Pemenang EGOT Terbaru
- Keajaiban Film Di Balik 'ET' Adegan Sepeda Terbang Terungkap
- Britney Spears Dan Sam Asghari Sudah Menikah
- Britney, Sam Mendapatkan Perintah Penahanan Terhadap Mantannya
- Dapatkan Tampilan Virtual 3D Pada Kostum 'The Batman'
- Betapa 'Malignant' Adalah Film Horor 'feminis'
- LeVar Burton Berbicara Tentang 'Membaca Pelangi', 'Star Trek'
- James Wan Tentang Bagaimana 'Malignant' Adalah Film Horor 'feminis'
- Mengapa Dern 'pelindung' Dari Pahlawan 'Jurassic' Dr Sattler
- Bagaimana 'Apocalypse Now' Hampir Membunuh Martin Sheen
- Mantan Britney Merusak Pernikahannya; Polisi Merespon
- Seperti Apa 2 Pernikahan Pertama Britney Spears
- Martin Sheen Mengungkapkan Bagaimana 'Apocalypse Now' Hampir Membunuhnya
- Aktor 'Tergelincir' Berdamai Dengan 'Grease 2'
- Witherspoon, Phillippe Bersatu Kembali Untuk Kelulusan Putranya
- Bertinelli Mengatakan Dia Sudah Selesai Dengan Cinta Di Tengah Perceraian
- Wilson Mengungkapkan Dia Menemukan Cinta Dengan Putri Disney
- Trailer Menampilkan Salah Satu Penampilan Terakhir Ray Liotta
- Tuduhan Baru Yang Mengganggu Dikenakan Terhadap Bintang 'Flash'
- Biden, Kontrol Senjata Bicara Kimmel, Ekstremisme GOP
- Bob Saget Mengenang Momen Mengharukan Di Ulang Tahunnya Yang Ke-60
- Mengapa Film 'Crimes Of The Future' Bukan 'body Horror'
- Bagaimana 'The Janes' Membantu Wanita Sebelum Roe V Wade
- Lihat Dwayne Johnson Di Trailer Pertama 'Black Adam'
- Pengacara Depp Mengatakan Vonis Bukanlah Kemunduran Bagi Perempuan
- Istri Taylor Hawkins Berterima Kasih Kepada Penggemar Atas 'kebaikannya'
- Sandler Dan Latifah Membicarakan Adegan Ciuman 'Hustle'
- Simon Cowell 'bernyanyi' Di Kejutan 'Got Talent'
- Kid Rock Berdiri Dengan Kata-kata Kasar Mabuk Terhadap Oprah
- Arquette Membebani Pintu Keluar 'Scream' Campbell
- McConaughey Memohon Reformasi Senjata Di Gedung Putih
- FBI Menjerat Bintang 'Tiger King' Dengan Berbagai Tuduhan
- Meghan, Harry Berbagi Potret Ulang Tahun Lilibet, 1
- Bob Saget Membahas Kematian Di Podcast Baru
- Chappelle Membuat Isyarat Besar Untuk Menembak Korban
- Johnny Depp Resmi Bergabung Dengan TikTok Setelah Menang Uji Coba
- Adik Heard Memposting Pesan Dukungan Setelah Persidangan Depp